Find Talent! Sources of external recruitment: definition and strategies. Find out how to attract qualified candidates.
First, sources are the various media in which candidates find a vacancy advertised by a company. Let’s talk more about it!
O que veremos neste artigo
What is external recruitment?
What is external recruitment? In simple words, external recruitment is the means of advertising your company’s vacancies and obtaining candidates from outside your company.
The external recruitment is the HR process of getting candidates for a particular vacancy and filling the profile they need in an organization, not necessarily being for a paid job.
This model is also used for volunteering in social actions, military recruitment, and others.
Principais Sites de Recrutamento no Brasil
O Brasil está repleto de plataformas de recrutamento que abrangem uma variedade de setores, garantindo que você encontre oportunidades que se alinhem às suas habilidades e experiência.
What is external and internal recruitment
As we saw above, external recruitment uses tools to attract candidates from outside the company, that is, tools that reach an audience outside this environment, such as social networks.
Internal recruitment uses tools for capturing candidates within the company’s environment, such as memos, internal e-mails, company bulletin boards, and even indications for employee promotions.
What are the main gains from external recruitment?
- Get different talents than you have in the company;
- Get mindset that complements the team;
- Larger quantity to choose from;
- It can be applied to any vacancy;
- Chance to have different skills in the company.
What is external selection?
External selection is when a company or consulting firm does the selection process for your company.
You see, besides recruiting candidates, this consulting company will also select the candidates that have the most adherence to the requirements of the position you have in your company.
Usually the hiring is done by this company as well.
How does external recruitment work?
External recruitment is basically finding sources to recruit candidates from outside the company, such as websites and others.
Recruiters must be very careful when selecting any specific recruitment source, as it must be reliable and there must be very clear criteria for this.
External Recruitment x Internal Recruitment: what is the difference?
External recruitment differs from internal recruitment mainly in that it is performed with candidates from outside the company. Internal recruitment is usually done to promote someone to a new position or to provide an opportunity for employees to grow.
External recruitment, besides being carried out with candidates from outside the company, also has the recruitment process on websites, social networks, and other tools that the company needs to advertise its vacancies to this public.
Which is better: internal or external recruitment?
The various sources of recruitment and selection can be broadly divided into two types, which are explained in detail below.
To decide what is the best way to recruit employees for your company, it is necessary to understand its context, its culture, and also the urgency of the demands of the sector that is requesting the position.
For example, a vacancy with internal recruitment may be much easier to fill than external recruitment.
The internal vacancy usually receives resumes by referral, and the word of the person who is referring is sometimes worth so much that the candidate just does a short interview to enter the company.
When I say short, I don’t mean in any way, however, the knowledge and commitment of the person who referred you already contributes to your hiring.
External recruitment can take a longer time, however it is common that it has a longer process of screening resumes, interviews with a larger number of candidates, in addition to tests and test simulations regarding the required knowledge.
What are recruitment and selection sources?
Recruitment and selection sources are the means used to search for candidates for one or more vacancies.
Es kann sich um interne Schriften innerhalb des eigenen Unternehmens oder um externe Schriften wie RH-Seiten oder soziale Netzwerke handeln. professionals such as Linkedin, among others.
Defining which sources your company wants to use or the most efficient for its work is very important.
For example, if your company needs people for the IT area, it is normal that you can search for information on specialized recruitment sites, such as APInfo.
If your company wants to hire executives, you can search Linkedin or hire a company that specializes in executive hiring.
Remember that in this case an executive not only receives a salary, but usually a percentage of the company’s profits and some extra benefits.
In each source, we have access to the candidates, their level of education, and all the necessary data for a more effective first contact.
What are the Types of recruitment and selection (Types of Recruitment Sources)
What are the Types of recruitment and selection (Types of Recruitment Sources)? Well, they can basically be divided into internal and external recruitment and selection sources, and they use several types, as the main ones below:
- Agências de empregos
- Consultorias de RH
- Job Aggregators
- Job Vacancy Applications
- Mural in schools and courses
- Official company website
- Social networking
- Newspaper Ads
- Referrals (internal recruitment and selection)
- Job Fairs
If you really want to, you can list what types of recruitment are for your personal and academic use, however, there are a very wide variety, and the most important thing is to be able to detect what your audience is and where they are.
What are the Sources of Internal Recruitment?
Internal recruitment sources refer to the search for employees from within the organization to fill the vacancy.
Many companies consider internal recruitment a great option, because it is cost-effective and they tend to hire employees with a better knowledge of the organization and its policies.
Internal recruitment can be accomplished through the following means:
- Previous applicants: filling immediate vacancies, calling or emailing applicants who have previously applied to the organization is the fastest and cheapest source of recruitment.
- Current employees : The recruiter can exercise promotion (to a higher position) or transfer (transfer between departments or between agencies) of current employees, rather than recruiting the new employees.
- Employee referrals : Sometimes, the organization hires the candidates referred by existing employees, assuming that these candidates are more reliable and trustworthy.
- Ex-employees : some organizations offer the option to re-member former employees. They even consider retired employees who are willing to provide their full-time or part-time services to the organization.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of internal recruitment?
The advantages of internal recruitment sources are beneficial for small organizations that deal with the limited product line, which does not require much experience.
The organization should not be frequently exposed to technological changes.
The following are some of the positive points of internal recruitment sources:
- Internal recruitment motivates employees to perform better and get promoted.
- Employees tend to have a long-term association and develop loyalty to the organization.
- These sources do not involve much cost and are based on internal advertising and word of mouth.
- It doesn’t require much experience and is a more straightforward process.
- The organization can trust the recruited workforce because it is pre-knowledgeable by the company.
- This saves time spent on application analysis, training, and orientation later.
Although there are also some disadvantages to internal recruitment. These are discussed below:
- Internal recruitment makes it challenging to introduce new resources that think differently into the organization.
- Employees sometimes witness bias and partiality in promotion or transfer, which leads to dissatisfaction.
- It is not suitable for all types of job openings.
- This creates conflict when one employee is promoted and the other is not.
What are the sources for external recruitment?
External recruitment sources mean the hiring of employees who have never been associated with the organization before.
Of course there can be rehiring of employees within the company, in which case the same has already demonstrated its value and is therefore being called again, so a simple conversation with him would be enough to start the hiring process.
The organization needs to include new and fresh talent to succeed and survive in the competition. Large organizations rely mainly on external sources of recruitment.
What are the external recruitment sources?
The following are the various external sources through which the organization acquires new resources and can meet how to do external recruitment:
- Advertisements : The organization advertises job openings in newspapers, media, company newsletter, social networking sites (post vacancy on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter), job portals etc.
- Recruitment at schools : The organization collaborates with educational institutes and colleges to hire their students for the available positions by conducting the recruitment process at the respective college campus.
- Electronic recruitment : the organization uses Web-based software as a recruitment source, involving electronic screening of candidates, online skill testing, online profile checking, and videoconference interviews.
- Job Exchange : The organization registers with the job exchange, that is, a government-affiliated agency that has a database of many potential candidates. These candidates register on these job exchanges in search of better job opportunities.
- Sourcing consultancies : some private consultancies are working professionally to recruit employees on behalf of the organization. The organization hires these consultants on a commission basis to acquire the desired human resource.
- Incoming and outgoing : Organizations, without any effort, receive random requests when job seekers submit their resume. Visiting the organization, posting the letter on the CV or sending the CV on the company ID.
- Contractors : the organization hires a contractor who provides temporary workers temporarily, especially for a specific project, and these workers do not exist in the company’s records.
- Acquisition and Mergers : At the time of a company merger or acquisition; it has to lay off some of its employees as well as recruit new talent. The structure of the company changes dramatically.
- Professional associations : professional associations make it easy for the organization to fill the vacancy by advertising it in their journal or magazine. It also offers employment opportunities to highly educated, qualified or experienced resources who are experts in their fields and who are members of such associations.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of external recruitment?
We will now look at the advantages and disadvantages of external recruitment.
How does external recruitment work? This type of recruitment is the best way to recruit for medium or large organizations, diversifying into various lines of business and carrying out mass hiring of employees.
Various merits and demerits of selecting external recruitment sources are discussed in this article.
E você pode se perguntar: what are the main gains with external recruitment? To understand the need for recruitment, let’s look at its benefits:
- External recruitment gives candidates a fair chance to compete and secure their position in the organization.
- It is not a confidential process and ensures transparency.
- Outside recruiting promotes and encourages new and fresh talent into the organization.
- It is widely applicable to vacancies in all kinds of departments for different business processes.
- Recruited employees will have new and innovative ideas and learn about new technologies and skills. All this starts the organizational success.
The disadvantages of external recruitment, while providing the organization with a pool of applications, also have some peculiarities. To learn more, read below:
- Existing employees may feel less valued and defeated and may even leave their jobs.
- Recruiting with people from outside the company is a time-consuming process, from identifying the human resource requirements to analyzing the applications.
- It involves a huge cost incurred in advertisements, job exchange, consulting, etc.
- Employees already working in the organization feel dissatisfied and demotivated if a senior position is filled by an outsider.
- Existing employees fear job loss or replacement for not meeting performance standards.
What are the alternatives to external and internal recruitment?
And what are the alternatives to external and internal recruitment?
Recruitment has some disadvantages; for example, it is a time-consuming and less cost-effective process. Therefore, many companies choose other options, rather than hiring, to do the work, although some of these alternatives are a temporary solution.
Let’s now learn about some of the recruitment alternatives in detail:
- Terce outsourcing : when the organization develops a vacancy, it outsources the hiring process to a third party that specializes in recruitment services.
- Employee overtime : during peak hours, when production gradually increases, the organization demands overtime from employees in exchange for additional wages.
- Temporary employees : Sometimes, the organization hires temporary employees through employment agencies to handle the workload at peak times. These employees can be technical, professional or executive and have experienced personnel available at lower salaries.
- Employee leasing : Leasing companies contract the services of their staff to the organization. They are responsible for maintaining the payroll of the employees and, in return, receive fees from the organization.
- CNPJ: hiring people by CNPJ contributes to the professional being hired in this regime without a link as the company, more in the format of providing services. This is very common in the IT area and can also help in increasing the values passed on to this professional.
What is the best external recruitment strategy?
The recruitment process can be expensive and time consuming. You can maximize the return on your time and financial investment by carefully choosing your recruiting methods.
Take into consideration the type of roles you are recruiting for and think about what methods your ideal candidate might use.
All methods of recruitment and selection have pros and cons. The trick is to keep up to date with all these methods to engage with your potential employees if you want to find the best candidates for your position and your business.
More Examples of External Recruitment
We can see even more examples of recruitment, below some of them:
- Social networks: Linkedin
- Sites de empregos: Diversos sites de emprego
In short, there are several examples of recruitment and selection sources, and each city has its own consultancies, agencies, and companies.
The most important thing is that you have it clear in your mind that recruitment and selection can be done simply, in many different ways.
We really hope that we have helped you and we are very happy with how you have read this far. If you have a little time, please leave us your comments, it is always a joy to hear from you.